Thursday, April 24, 2008

Music

If you knew me, it wouldn't be a surprise that I idolize A.R.Rahman. One of the often repeated characteristics I keep repeating about his music is the multiple layers, intricately woven in perfection... that most of the times you listen to the same song, you get to catch a new instrument or sound that would have remained hidden for years to surface.. I should take one song as an example and write in detail about the layers my ear could perceive... In many ways, listening to the songs with a single pointed focus on just listening is a meditative experience in one way for me.

Well, I happened to listen to one of my favorite tracks from Mr.Romeo called "Thanneerai kaadhalikkum meengala illai"... Most of you should be familiar with it. Here it is...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=odGzSyKN8OU

Listen from 00:05 to 00:15. There is a synthetic sound in the background. For all these years I enjoyed it as a new sound. It was only two days back when I happened to listen to the song in a new Zune player, thanks to my roomie, that I knew what that sound was.

Highlight here to know the answer: It is basically the first two lines of the song, synthesized electronically to sound that way.

It was an OMG experience...

2 comments:

Deepak said...

:) :) - Good one.
But you know Rams, not everyone would be excited about these things to the same level. Music is a subjective experience, so it depends as much on the perceiver as much as the composer as well. You must be glad!

Also, you asked me a question y'day - I posted a comment back to that post.

Unknown said...

nice post and thanks for the link yar...

Work from home India