Saturday, December 14, 2013

Singapore...

I had made a mention in my previous entry about a list of projects coming my way for which I wasn't prepared for. As I was trying to find my balance in the first of those projects, there came a surprise in the form of project 2, which is what I am handling right now, in Singapore!

If you are curious about what the program is, check out https://www.ishayoga.sg

Sadhguru is coming for a big event in Singapore - Mystic Eye: a one day program with Sadhguru which will be an opportunity to explore the deepest questions in life and empower oneself with powerful practices that will ultimately open the doors to a blissful living.

Coming back to the context of this post, for the first time I traveled in Singapore today. I took the MRT (metro trains). Switched twice to reach my destination. This is what I got to observe today
  • The metro trains are awesome. Got a hold of their map. There are single-bogey trains called LRT which run in localized routes which act as an accessory to the bigger coverage of MRTs. The awesome factor of this system is - it is COMPLETELY AUTOMATED. No drivers and everything operates on time. Doors open and shut automatically. It was amazing!
  • Shorts seem to be the national attire :) Not sure if it was because of Saturday and people were chilling off, but everybody loves wearing shorts. And mind it, these shorts are really really short. My boxers are twice as big as the shorts most women wear here :D
  • Though I could notice distinct features in each (native Singaporean) face, still all put together it seems like a haze when it comes to remembering the random faces. Wonder if they'll find it the same way with Indian faces.
  • Almost everyone's hair is soft and silky texture! Or is there that level of maintenance? I doubt it is the latter
  • Hair in rest of the body is too minimal. The Indians are just at the other end of the spectrum :)
  • The whole population is drowned in smartphones I should say. In my hour and a half's travel, 95% of the population was just pre-occupied with their phones while the remaining 5% were the elderly :)
  • I liked this that everyone was just minding their own business (of course except for the few Tamil youth who were happily "bird-watching")
  • Singapore is almost near the equator. With so much sun, I am wondering how their skin is wheatish white and not tan.
  • This I must admit, I am totally amazed by how people have maintained their body. More than 95% of the people I saw today were quite fit - lithe figure, nimble and active! Quite a heartening sight in times when obesity is the most common disease
  • After work, before getting on to the train, got to go into a local market, Was quite amusing. All kinds of animals were being cut and fried and offered as a delicacy. They thought putting the names in English would help (like Kaa Phoo Pai), but for an ignorant like me, what can I make out of it. Being a veggie, the smell was a little nauseating but it was nice to look at the people, the different colored drinks they sold... next time I want to go and inquire (though I can't eat any of that)... an interesting delicacy I saw today was the "Tea Egg" - Eggs were being boiled in a huge pan of what looked like tea :) [Yes, I made it up - Kaa Phoo Pai :D]
  • Even the bakery shops had a lot of stuff but everything seemed to have some animal content in it. Was happy to see from the windows :D
I've always loved to travel and that too to other nations and cultures. Let's see what else Singapore holds!

-Excited!

4 comments:

The Lady-Next-Door said...

Hey that quite sums up 'Singapura' for any one!! Very nice observations. You are very true about the 'shorts'. The shorts that Singaporeans wear are in the real sense of the word 'short' and a tourist to Singapore can never fail to notice that.

And one more thing, metro train is the MRT(not SRT).

Welcome to Singapore, btw!

Unknown said...

Great information thanks for sharing this with us.In fact in all posts of this blog their is something to learn . your work is very good and i appreciate your work and hopping for some more informative posts . Again thanks

For information about Cash for Cars or Car wrecker Brisbane please visit website.

Kelly Byrnes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Max muller said...

Excellent Post!! Are you looking for the best deals for your old car? Here are the best deals is just for you...Local car buyer" is a used car buyer company serving Australia wide, including all the main cities and suburbs. You can get cash for your used cars anytime and days..cash for car, cash for cars
cash for cars Brisbane, cash for car Brisbane
cash for cars Gold cost
cash for cars Canberra, cash for car Canberra