Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Lived life...the real way...

On November 13th, the third part of Maestro Ilayaraja's "Netru Indru Naalai" was telecasted on Jaya TV. I had the oppurtunity to watch the whole telecast without any interruptions (thanks to my roomies who had gone out ;-))

It goes without saying that the programme was such a wonderful one. There were two masterpieces. One was from a Malayalam movie (a Balumahendra film, I guess it was Oalam or something like that) and the next was a Telugu piece. The first one was a wonderfully orchestrated piece with Ilayaraja chipping in with the aalaaps (if I may call the "dhamdhana dhamdhana" that way). The second one was rendered by Shreya Goshal, SPB and Ilayaraja with an excellent orchestration again.

I was actually doing some calculations with the TV running in the background. When these two pieces begun, I dropped everything and started listening to them and in a moment there were tears flowing from the eyes. The mind was blank. It was so blissful at that point. I let the tears flow as they wished, and laid there, still, basking in the beauty of the composition.

I felt I had lived that moment to the fullest extent. I was rooted in the present. It was an inexplicable feeling. It was then I remembered an excerpt from the Art of Living courses where they say something on the lines of "How many times have you laughed till tears flow out of your eyes...How many times have you forgotten everything and lived in that moment.....Those are the mometns when you have truely lived your life".

It was such a joyous experience. Thanks to the Maestro for that soul stirring music. It was as if, the string on which my soul was running was plucked and set into a vibration. As all of us know, Ilayaraja is such a spiritual person and it is no wonder that his spirituality has its say in his music.

I was so happy for having lived life the real way, at least for a moment...

7 comments:

Parthiban said...

Great da Rams. U have felt what they call the "Power of Npw". This is exactly what is given in the book "The Power of Now". If u remember, that is the book gifted to me in college during one of my birthdays, but I never understood, why that book to me. But it was such a good read of late. Living in the "PRESENT" is something which most people doesnt do even once in their otherwise loooong life. They are times to cherish.

~Parthi.

Anonymous said...

@rams: good one rams.

@atheist: why are you writing some off the topic junk here?

/stranger in trance/

Rams said...

Thanks for all your comments.

@Atheist is my school friend and I'll take his questions off-line.

BTW, I've figured out the Malayalam song. It is called "thumbi vaa" from the film "Olangal". It is available in Raaga and I could also locate a download from Coolgoose. This version is very gud, but not as competent as the orchestra version (The 100 violins in a sync create a special magic which the voice isn't able to create)

Anand said...

rams, nice to know your enjoyed the concert to the fullest.... some songs are very moving and we automatically get mesmerised by them.. thats the power of divine music.. and IR is a master of that..
I literally cried when I first heard some of his old melodies (Thene thenpaandi meene, thenpaandi chemaiyile, Kasthoori bommai ondru.. are some)

nice write up... still waiting for you to put some audio blog... try pannuda...

Arvind Sharma said...

On seeing all these comments I am reminded of two things, one is a comment from Bhoopesh about crying-he said something like this-we often associate crying with sorrow and misery, but tears flow whenever you are full with any type emotion-joy, bliss, love.

I didnt take that comment seriously until very recently when we were meditating with the voice of Guruji Sri Sri guiding us...at one point there were tears flowing uncontrollably from my cheek, Later I realised that this was what Bhoopesh must have talked about-this happened again when Guruji Himself came over to each one of us at the end of the course...people were just crying all around the place...and one more incident which Rams would recollect as well was watching the Black movie...

Rams said...

Exactly, well said sharma...
Ppl more often than not associate tears with sorrow. But I have realised on quite a few occasions that happiness produces tears which is such a wonderful experience...True, when any emotion becomes the fullest, tears pour out.

Particularly, in the spiritual courses, the ego props up saying "u r a man, how can u cry..."...Similarly, when seeing spiritual classes on TV, it wud rather seems absurd on how ppl lose control of themselves...Only when u r thru it, u know the power of wat is going on thr.

Maha said...

great post yar.... very nice to comment in your blog


Work From Home India