Friday, August 04, 2006

Jillendru oru Kadhal...



One of the favorite things I like to write about is A.R.Rahman :) It is no wonder that I always go gaga about him, for all the innovations he does in the music industry. The latest release of ARR is Jillendru oru kaadhal (now known as Sillendru Oru Kaadhal)...There are 7 songs in the album... When I first heard the album, a few songs caught on instantly with me. But with repeated hearing, I liked all of them...I'll have to listen more deeply to give a detailed review of each song...Here goes a "teaser-review" of the album...

1. "Majja majja"

This is a sensual song... Shreya does a wonderful job... She's got a sexy voice ;-) This is one song which I didn't like on first hearing... But it has grown on me after a few hearings. I liked the instrumentation of the song pretty much.... The strings were awesome.

Instant love: The line where Shreya sings "Jillllllllunu oru Ginger beer thaa..."

2. "Maricham"

ARR has found yet another new voice in Carolisa and she really rocks. It is high on electronic sound content and it's a tough song to sing, especially the scale at which she sings. The song begins at a rapid pace and tapers off to a slow end. This is has grown on me very well.

Instant Love: The glass breaking sound used at places...Particularly the one used in the beginning few lines of the song.

3. "Munbe vaa"

What a song!!!! I simply love this melody...The song has a nice pace to it and melodious at the same time. And Shreya does great justice to the song with her voice. Naresh iyer is too lucky to get such songs. This song is definitely going to take him places.

One of my definite picks of the album.

Instant Love: "Rangoli" hum by the chorus... Too good!

4. "New York"

I am mad about this song... Sung by Rahman himself... I can't ask for more... A melancholic piece where the protaganist rambles about his loneliness... Vaali has done a splendid job through out the album and this song is clearly the pick in terms of the lyrical content... The images are instantly created in the listener's mind... So beautiful are the words!!!

Another of my picks in the album.

Instant Love: Thalaivar's voice, the strings...

5. "Jillendru oru kaadhal"

A typical Jazz song... I am generally not interested in Jazz... And I didn't like this song when I first heard it... But on a few more hearings, I have started tapping automatically... A jolly number... Tanvi has stretched herself out to sing this one...Nice job.

Instant Love: The cat sounds littered over the song :)

6. "Kummi adi"

Liked this on the very first hearing... A fast, heavy percussion folk song sung at a marriage. Naresh Iyer does a superb job in this song alnong with Swarnalatha... On a side track I am hearing Swarnalatha after a looooong time and she comes back with a bang.

Yet another personal pick

Instant Love: Kunjaramma's voice, the harmony

7. "Machakaari"

Shankar Mahadevan has been used to his full potential... I really can't imagine the way he has sung this... A superb fast paced number...Vasundra Das is equally good too in this song. Her voice is real sexy as well.

Also a pick...

Instant Love: "Nannaana nannanaa" humming of Shankar (he does it with a groan...ossum), the strings and rhythm are different and catchy.

Go...Listen to it now!!!

9 comments:

Arvind Sharma said...

Super write-up...can't wait to hear it:)

Anand said...

same here... i love munbe vaaa... and NY nagaram... these are first listen favs..

i am liking machakari and kummi adi now :) others still have to wait.. :D

Anonymous said...

Hi Rams,

You echoed my feelings! Good write-up!

- Murugu

Deepak said...

Cool, will pick this up on my next visit to Landmark or Music world.

Anonymous said...

One of the favorite things I like to read about is A.R.Rahman :)

Very well written. Many instant love's matched. Majja majja needs more listening.. Sounds similar to Ah Aah. The rest are fresh.

P.S: Listening to machakari as I write this.

Anonymous said...

New York would be better if it had a Hariharan version of it

Vetti Payyan Talks said...

My favourites Kummi Adi and NewYork..

Aravind said...

new york nagaram rocks!!!

Maha said...

ya the new york really rocks...


Work From Home India