Thursday, July 17, 2008

Sakkarakatti...

Another Rahman musical for a newbie's debut (following JTYJN, Ada), this time in Tamil.
While there was some debate over some of my friends over their incapability to appreciate the music as they used to in the older days, I liked the album and it has been running for quite some time in my music player...

Naan eppodhu: Loved Reena's voice. Was able to appreciate it more than Meenaxi's "yeh rishta" as I was able to understand the lyrics.

Chinnamma: One of my all time favorites. In Tamil, it just became better. Benny and Chinmayi did great justice. Loved the female counterpoints.

Elay: Refreshing guitar strumming and violin interludes. Nice rendition.

Taxi: What a cool song. I won't be surprised if this became the chartbuster of the year. Blaaze's rap and Vivian's French interludes are awesome

Marudhani: The "munbe vaa" for this year. One of the songs that can make it into my all time favorite melodies. Madhushree's voice is indeed "madhu". Though the diction is better, still there is room for improvement.

I miss you da: One of the weirdest experimentations I've heard so far. Catches on slowly. Special mention to the totally different style of singing by Chinmayi...

Summary: One of the better albums you can lay your hands on.

4 comments:

Raji said...

I think you have overated this mvoies music a bit. well music taste differs from person to person.
catch you soon :-)

Raji said...

mmm neenga sonneenganu patugalai ketten. :)
I should agree after alaipayuthe this is the ARR album which I like in Tamil. My favs are I miss you da, and Taxi.Taxi reminded me my Ethiraj days...dont know why.I miss you da reminded me a pizza shop in coimbatore in front of our college. :)
Elaye song might be very interesting for people in nellai :), but for me not that good. Appuram Marudhani, tune is very nice and also the instruments and treatment...but I think sadhana sargam spolied the song with her thamizh. You can ask thamizh in other songs are that good, yes, but sadhanas thamizh irritates me. like snegithane song in alaipayuthe,...the only thing I didnt like is her pronounciation. she is good in hindhi though.
appuram other two songs are already known to me thru hindhi movie meenaxi...chinnama :)
see this link
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=-yl6ZDcskso&feature=related

and naan eppothu
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=NisVpwjhMF0&feature=related

I like kunal kapoor in this song more than the music. :)One north indian guy who doesnt look like a girl.

they r good, but not new.
I miss you da, I really like that song.

Dinesh Scaran said...

Raji Madam, Maruthani is not sung by Sadhana Sargam but by Madhushree.

Thank u.

It is indeed an excellent song... one of the best melodies post 2000s....

Unknown said...

nice review yar.... all the songs are best in that movie...

Work from home India