Thursday, December 09, 2004

Doing what one's heart wants to...

I guess it has been a long time since I wrote on this page. Two reasons for this- a) Office work has increased a bit these days; b) Hyderabad is pretty cold these days (around 10 degrees Celcius) and my health suffered the brunt of the low temperature.

Today, as I was browsing through an edition of India Today magazine, I came across an interesting article which talked about "people who do what they want to". It was a nice read and it quoted various people, from different walks of life, from a police officer to an industrialist to a software professional to a consultant...All these people had quit their jobs, which they felt as drab (Rewarding...financially but not emotionally) and not something their heart resides in. Remember, all these people don't have money as their prime motive. They had abandoned their high-paying well-established jobs to pursue what they feel like. It is to be noted that not all these people start their pursuit after attaining financial stability. There were a few, who, disregarding their future and financial disposition, had embarked on their journey.

I really envy these people."Following one's own heart" is one strong maxim (The Golden Rule)which I would want to adhere to- always. But many a times, I don't feel like I am going by this rule. Of course, going for a nap in the middle of office hours or shaving off my head (as I did a few weeks earlier) fall under the category of doing what I feel like doing. So do many of my petty activities. But it is life taken in a broader perspective that is mocking at my inability to follow The Golden Rule. One simple yet daunting question which keeps me troubling time and agian is "why do I live?". My heart says for sure that it is NOT for writing a piece of software. My heart says that it is for something intangible but the "conservative safe-player" reminds me of the alluring pay (which my father doesn't get even now;-)) and continues to keep me churning out code which makes sense to my machine but definitely not to me.

One solace which I would like to take is that all the people aforementioned set out on their journeys only after they felt they could no longer continue with their profession betraying their hearts. I still haven't acquired such a stage. When I do, You'll be the first person to know ;-)

6 comments:

Parthiban said...

Rams dear,
Follow your heart. Follow your dreams.

With Love,
The Alchemist.

Fathima Sagar said...

"Doing what one's heart wants to" - it shud b followed in heartfelt important desires & not in all cases.
In normal things, I believe in making the heart like - what has to b done actually. One shud start loving the job they r assigned to. Bcoz always its not possible to listen to what heart says.
The New Alchemist.

Prasanna SV said...

Machaan,
you said that u don't want to be a programmer. So, do u know what u r for? If not, what do u do to know that? How do u plan to get to the place where u want to be? You should understand one important thing. Life is full of problems. And u will have to "solve" each of them. Problems don't go away as they surfaced, unless u solve them.
Srini.
http://prasannasv.blogspot.com

Arvind Sharma said...

Very well-written piece.
But does the heart say just one thing or does every man have only one destination in life...I dont think so....there are different dimensions to life and our heart yearns for (its own definition of) perfection in each dimension..work is just one (important) part of it...each of us can (and surprisingly do) improve on every aspect of life everyday...but perfection is still a far cry.

Ananth said...

http://antorocks.blogspot.com/2004/12/iconoclasm-in-air.html
A link is worth more than a thousand words.

Unknown said...

great lines yar... really nice...


Work From Home India